A hitchhiker's guide out of the Baltics into Poland.
Day 2: truck day
I almost thought in the Baltics it was impossible to hitch wtih trucks. The day before none stopped. But there is no absolute in hitchhiking, and trucks were nice to me the next few days.
When you see a Soviet toilet, you know it. Only last saw one in Uzbekistan, in much worse condition. Soviets really have their own aesthetic standards, keeping these standards ubiquitous. Quite a challenge to not have a tad bit of creativity.
Paulius was a thoughtful host, and I could not have been more grateful. Discussed so much about hitchhiking as it was now my newly discovered passion. And we decided there was basically no fixed rule. Signs are almost a must, but even that might not be needed if you're standing under a road sign. Dark clothes don't repel cars, as I have been wearing black all along. The art of hitchhiking is all about the feel.
More thanks to Paulius for introducing me the Marco Polo Euro Atlas, arguably the best. So damn convenient.This just became my new bible, and even my host drivers have to read it for reference.
A warm dinner and warm breakfast later, back on the road again. Destination Warsaw. Gotta first hit the border.
Took a bus down south, once again a road out of town. Nothing new here. But what's new is this time I approached a truck driver with a PL plate. Jackpot would be one truck all the way to Warsaw, but of course life is never supposed to be that simple.
Turns out he was only going to Warsaw the next day, only heading to Kedainiai which was a town 10km away, not even reaching Kaunas. Alright take what you can get!
Nice guy, spoke a little Italian Russian and Polish. Basically based on routes he did. Not much conversation but I was enjoying the day. Incredible scenery from the truck's eye view. At a point he started talking to his colleague through his radio device, apparently the colleague was going all the way to Warsaw. Glad that didn't go through, life shouldn't be that straightforward. When we hit the junction, his colleague drove on.
Again in the split, middle of nowhere. 15 minutes later, truck stopped by, Kaunas-bound. Hopped on and at first driver was on the phone, and I was busy writing notes.
Mood lightened up after a gas break. Broken English but hey, I don't speak a word of Russian. Typical convo starter.
"Where you from?"
"Hong Kong."
"Oh I love your culture, it has a lot of traditions. It's great, very old."
"Ye but Lithuania also has great culture! Food is great and stuff."
"Fucking Lithuania. Life is hard here man. I work and work, two kids. I drive beers between Panevezys and Kaunas, I work 12 hours a day, I am paid 120 Litas a day (approx. 30 Pounds). 70 litas go to food and everyday life. Life is hard man."
"Oh." Not knowing what to say.
"EU comes here, politicians say we develop country, EU gives money, politicians sell us things more expensive than they are."
All worked up and excited, we had some laughs together later. But his life was clearly detached from the picture politicians painted.
Before I was dropped off, "here I give you present." Searches for key chain and throws me a pack of cigarettes.
"Good luck with life man."
"And good luck to YOU!" Points at me. Drops me at a split on ring highway of Kaunas, even made a detour. Always be forever grateful.
There I lingered a bit. It was petrol station but the direction wasn't right, too much local traffic. Walked a bit on a swamp, back and forth asking for whether anyone heading down south.
30mins to 1 hour lingering, back at path from petrol station that joins the highway, put a card out that has PL with a smiley face
Lesson 7: Limit letters on sign, make it simple.
And immediately it worked. Two guys were not quite heading where I was, but they brought me to the right junction. Apparently they were part of the Lithuanian Travelers Organization or something like that, doing mountain trekking, biking, and even hitchhike.
"Poland's hard to hitchhike man, normally takes you 3 days to cross the country. Lithuania ain't easy either."
"Right."
Then some of their classic quotes:
"Hitchhiking is like a profession. You even get free things off it."
Quite rightly so.
The other, "Hitchhiking is like the Euro project, it doesn't matter where you go."
Word.
Then they told me about this Lithuanian guy who hitchhiked all the way to South Africa. He tried to do it with $100, unfortunately failed. Laughs. Apparently the guy now operates a large couchsurfing house welcoming people.
After I was dropped, picked up within 10 mins with my PL smiley sign. Truck guy. Jackpot. No idea where he was going, but definitely right direction.
Nothing significant in convo. Driver seemed to have a very good attitude to life. Laughs. Told me about this Polish rap song that came out of radio, saying that it was praising God and stuff. Scenery was stunning though, especially from Trucks eye view. Moving out of the woods, into a little more woods, and then once we hit Poland it was all plains. A little picturesque.
Saw car crashes on the way. A car was thrown over the fence. 生命之无常, that's what I wrote.
And I noticed how truck drivers are a little group together, communicating constantly through their radio system. Where the police is, and stuff like that. The guy offered me coke and apple.
Dropped me at
And a pharmaceutical guy was going right there! Nice man. Tried to practice English and such. Had machinery trade with China, things cheap but quality improving every year. Then a little about Tartars, of Mongol origins, who still lived in Bialystok. And how he didn't like Warsaw as much.
Gave me his number saying hey call me if you don't find anything.
So here I was, not even knowing what currency Poland used, nowhere to stay at night. Took 30 minutes to get into Warsaw center, took note of McDonalds open 24 hours. Wednesday i think it was. Prepared for a cold night. Exhausted anyway, might as well.
On last minute couchsurfing page, saw a girl logged on 9 minutes ago. Sent a message and yes! By 23:00 I had a humble dinner and hot shower, ready for bed.
Al Hamdullilah.
I almost thought in the Baltics it was impossible to hitch wtih trucks. The day before none stopped. But there is no absolute in hitchhiking, and trucks were nice to me the next few days.
When you see a Soviet toilet, you know it. Only last saw one in Uzbekistan, in much worse condition. Soviets really have their own aesthetic standards, keeping these standards ubiquitous. Quite a challenge to not have a tad bit of creativity.
Paulius was a thoughtful host, and I could not have been more grateful. Discussed so much about hitchhiking as it was now my newly discovered passion. And we decided there was basically no fixed rule. Signs are almost a must, but even that might not be needed if you're standing under a road sign. Dark clothes don't repel cars, as I have been wearing black all along. The art of hitchhiking is all about the feel.
More thanks to Paulius for introducing me the Marco Polo Euro Atlas, arguably the best. So damn convenient.This just became my new bible, and even my host drivers have to read it for reference.
A warm dinner and warm breakfast later, back on the road again. Destination Warsaw. Gotta first hit the border.
Panevezys.
Took a bus down south, once again a road out of town. Nothing new here. But what's new is this time I approached a truck driver with a PL plate. Jackpot would be one truck all the way to Warsaw, but of course life is never supposed to be that simple.
Turns out he was only going to Warsaw the next day, only heading to Kedainiai which was a town 10km away, not even reaching Kaunas. Alright take what you can get!
Nice guy, spoke a little Italian Russian and Polish. Basically based on routes he did. Not much conversation but I was enjoying the day. Incredible scenery from the truck's eye view. At a point he started talking to his colleague through his radio device, apparently the colleague was going all the way to Warsaw. Glad that didn't go through, life shouldn't be that straightforward. When we hit the junction, his colleague drove on.
Again in the split, middle of nowhere. 15 minutes later, truck stopped by, Kaunas-bound. Hopped on and at first driver was on the phone, and I was busy writing notes.
Mood lightened up after a gas break. Broken English but hey, I don't speak a word of Russian. Typical convo starter.
"Where you from?"
"Hong Kong."
"Oh I love your culture, it has a lot of traditions. It's great, very old."
"Ye but Lithuania also has great culture! Food is great and stuff."
"Fucking Lithuania. Life is hard here man. I work and work, two kids. I drive beers between Panevezys and Kaunas, I work 12 hours a day, I am paid 120 Litas a day (approx. 30 Pounds). 70 litas go to food and everyday life. Life is hard man."
"Oh." Not knowing what to say.
"EU comes here, politicians say we develop country, EU gives money, politicians sell us things more expensive than they are."
All worked up and excited, we had some laughs together later. But his life was clearly detached from the picture politicians painted.
Before I was dropped off, "here I give you present." Searches for key chain and throws me a pack of cigarettes.
"Good luck with life man."
"And good luck to YOU!" Points at me. Drops me at a split on ring highway of Kaunas, even made a detour. Always be forever grateful.
There I lingered a bit. It was petrol station but the direction wasn't right, too much local traffic. Walked a bit on a swamp, back and forth asking for whether anyone heading down south.
30mins to 1 hour lingering, back at path from petrol station that joins the highway, put a card out that has PL with a smiley face
Lesson 7: Limit letters on sign, make it simple.
And immediately it worked. Two guys were not quite heading where I was, but they brought me to the right junction. Apparently they were part of the Lithuanian Travelers Organization or something like that, doing mountain trekking, biking, and even hitchhike.
"Poland's hard to hitchhike man, normally takes you 3 days to cross the country. Lithuania ain't easy either."
"Right."
Then some of their classic quotes:
"Hitchhiking is like a profession. You even get free things off it."
Quite rightly so.
The other, "Hitchhiking is like the Euro project, it doesn't matter where you go."
Word.
Then they told me about this Lithuanian guy who hitchhiked all the way to South Africa. He tried to do it with $100, unfortunately failed. Laughs. Apparently the guy now operates a large couchsurfing house welcoming people.
After I was dropped, picked up within 10 mins with my PL smiley sign. Truck guy. Jackpot. No idea where he was going, but definitely right direction.
Truck's eye view.
Nothing significant in convo. Driver seemed to have a very good attitude to life. Laughs. Told me about this Polish rap song that came out of radio, saying that it was praising God and stuff. Scenery was stunning though, especially from Trucks eye view. Moving out of the woods, into a little more woods, and then once we hit Poland it was all plains. A little picturesque.
Saw car crashes on the way. A car was thrown over the fence. 生命之无常, that's what I wrote.
And I noticed how truck drivers are a little group together, communicating constantly through their radio system. Where the police is, and stuff like that. The guy offered me coke and apple.
Dropped me at
Łomża. Nothing stunning, not quite developed little town. Walked for a bit towards outskirts, must have spent 40 minutes or so? Went on the road towards Ostrow Maz, which was not far from Warsaw.
Łomża.
And a pharmaceutical guy was going right there! Nice man. Tried to practice English and such. Had machinery trade with China, things cheap but quality improving every year. Then a little about Tartars, of Mongol origins, who still lived in Bialystok. And how he didn't like Warsaw as much.
Gave me his number saying hey call me if you don't find anything.
So here I was, not even knowing what currency Poland used, nowhere to stay at night. Took 30 minutes to get into Warsaw center, took note of McDonalds open 24 hours. Wednesday i think it was. Prepared for a cold night. Exhausted anyway, might as well.
On last minute couchsurfing page, saw a girl logged on 9 minutes ago. Sent a message and yes! By 23:00 I had a humble dinner and hot shower, ready for bed.
Al Hamdullilah.
Comments
Post a Comment